Now that we’ve had a chance to catch a momentary breath, thought it worth sharing with you what we learnt from the GFC as a gauge to how this current situation may play out:
Beat the Rush! Unfortunately, there will be business failure fallout due to what’s happening but not just yet. Quality business to buy is available now and will be for the continued foreseeable future, or at least until the distressed ones start hitting and clouding the market. Being in front of the Buying pack will work in your favour.
Buyers continue to look to buy businesses, with our inquiries over the last week the highest they’ve been in some time.
Buyers do so because it is a good time to seek out opportunistic acquisitions of quality, or looking out for perceived bargains, or even for Income Replacement due to job loss.
Granted, it may take a little longer to transact, and all your risk-averse advisors will say the time is not right, but the longer time a business is in the market, it will give continued exposure, meaning more Buyers can come forward.
The market will take time to settle. You as the Buyer therefore may need the Owner to be around longer than first intended. This can be good as it will give some certainty of mutual support in sharing the risk, as well as the possible option of a reduced agreed payment upfront as well.
A good business it will stand out. A good business will always find a Buyer.
All of that said — nobody knows how far away waiting for a “better time” will be…
If now is the time to act for you, please subscribe on our Watchlistand be notified each and every time all businesses come on the market through our network.
The current entrepreneurial owner took this 85 year old Madame and reshaped her into being 21st century ready. She, the business, now is in need of the next new talent that can utilise the robust base and morph it into the online sensation it is longing to be…
• Niche Business with revenue in excess of $600,000
• Adjusted profit to owner in excess of $100,000 FY2015
• Supplying Australia’s leading fashion houses, retailers and manufacturers
• Specialising in the craft, gift and packaging market
• Arrangements in place with suppliers, including exclusive with key supplier in Europe (requiring bi-annual overseas trip)
• Iconic brand with 85 plus years of history
An ideal opportunity for a person(s) seeking a business with a creative flair. This business imports its products from Europe and Asia and is highly regarded within its market for providing beautiful, unique and quality product together with reliable and professional service.
The business owner’s main involvement is:
• General Management
• Business and Product Development/Marketing/Sales
• Travel bi-annually to meet with key suppliers in Europe and Asia
What does the business do?
• Importing and wholesaling of its niche range of products
• A growing percentage of its business is based on orders that are customised for specific clients
Substantial investment, positioned for the Future:
• “Digital ready” with a streamlined website to handle both retail and wholesale clients
• Extensive and diverse database of clients across a broad range of industries
• Automated and systemised operational procedures requiring low staffing levels
• Cloud-based business system (Netsuite), with integrated accounting/ERP, inventory management, CRM and webstore for multi-channel marketing
• Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) system used to trade with national chains
• Over 80% of clients prepay, allowing minimal cash gap
• A number of growth areas have been identified and preliminary research commenced
The business is ready to be relocated to a property of your choice, and can also be integrated into an existing business. With key employees and systems in place, the business offers a number of flexible options and opportunities for a new owner.
Asking Price: $180,000 plus SAV http://www.businessbrokers.com.au/view_listing.php?OID=9797350
Who would think it is pleasing to use Tax as a Growth Indicator?
This story from one of my charges (Julie Demczuk of www.exclusivepmg.com.au) just this week, got to love a share such as this:
I’m sitting in my office on my own thinking about when I first started the business.
I remember saying to my bookkeeper I can’t wait until I start paying GST. I was so excited when my first GST bill was $6.
After three years my GST bill for the last quarter is $5,668.
What an amazing difference.
What an amazing difference indeed! Whilst I haven’t contributed directly to her growth numbers, she is one the amazing number of Women Business Owners who are building their business as an asset, ready to be saleable when the time comes (which may be right round the corner!)
So very proud of this entrepreneurial mother.
Just think how well off the new owner of a business like this will be. Not only is the thing well-established, if $5000+ of GST is being paid quarterly, then the revenue has to reflect same. Much more palatable when compared to waiting for revenue as a start-up… Interested in knowing more? Please drop me a line at email@example.com
Some would say “why?”, others, “why not?”
Some are born to start, build and hold for as long as it takes.
Some are born to start, build and pass the baton on.
The thing about Online Businesses | Websites these days is that the market has been around long enough whereby there are businesses of quality, with verifiable statistics and easier to follow financials. So the information collected is more capably captured and consistent.
Not only did we discuss the initial thoughts processes around Buying a Business, we also talked Customer Service with a local and a national award winners. Most thought provoking and well worth a listen.