As trendwatching.com wanted to keep things straightforward and hands-on this month, they’re highlighting “FUNCTIONALL“. Which is all about a new breed of products that are simple, small and/or cheap (with a dash of sustainability), giving them global appeal, from India to Sweden. Now, if that doesn’t warrant a brainstorming session…
FUNCTIONALL | Captures the phenomenon of simple, small and/or cheap products and services designed for low(er)-income consumers in emerging markets, with cross-over appeal to consumers in mature consumer societies.
Goods and services especially designed for emerging markets often incorporate one or more of the following characteristics:
* Smaller and/or limited number of features, to keep prices low.
* Simpler, or easier to use, for inexperienced consumers.
* Energy efficient (or not using any traditional energies at all) and/or easy to repair and/or waste-reducing.
* Robust, as some of them are used in rugged conditions.
* Well-designed (the democratization of design is a global phenomenon).
* Aimed at helping owners to generate income, or allow users to create self-sustaining systems.
read on… it is well worth it